These pages contain information about the digital programmes that we are currently running and which are in development, under our new Creative media policy.
Current digital programmes
There are three main digital programmes at present:
- the Digital R&D Fund for the Arts that we have created in partnership with Nesta and the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), following the pilot Digital R&D Fund which ran in 2011
- The Space - a partnership with BBC and Arts Council in association with the BFI using £3.5 million Digital Innovation funding
- Building digital capacity for the arts - a partnership with BBC Academy
We have also confirmed the following:
An expansion of the Digital R&D Fund for the Arts
£6 million contributing to a total of £7 million for the programme between July 2012 and March 2015. This builds on the 2011 Digital R&D fund for arts and culture pilot project.
You can find more information on the fund on the Digital R&D Fund for the Arts website.
Commitment to developing phase 2 of The Space with the BBC, following the end of the pilot in October 2012
This will include an Arts Council investment of £8 million with more details to follow later this year. The Arts Council and BBC have also agreed to work together in a new Public Value Partnership beginning in 2013 and running to the end of 2016. The partnership will focus on finding ways to support the art and cultural sector's digital development.
The BBC and Arts Council England are actively in discussion regarding The Space's legacy with further details announced in the Autumn.
A new £2.5m creative media infrastructure programme to be launched September 2013
We will be working with partners through 2012 and 2013 to ensure a coordinated cultural approach to supporting key creative media infrastructure. We will focus on supporting the arts and cultural sectors through a national commissioned grants programme which will help to build their capacity in the following development challenges:
- ntellectual property and rights support
- archiving skills and support
- data, meta-data and technology infrastructure support for content