Museums interested in applying for Accreditation should first complete the eligibility questionnaire. We will then assess your organisation's eligibility for the scheme, and will let you know our decision within four weeks.
To be Accredited, museums must:
- meet the Museums Association's 1998 definition of a museum ('Museums enable people to explore collections for inspiration, learning and enjoyment. They are institutions that collect, safeguard and make accessible artefacts and specimens, which they hold in trust for society')
- hold a long-term collection of artefacts
- have a formal constitution
- provide two years of relevant accounts
- make sure that they meet all the relevant legal, ethical, safety, equality, environmental and planning requirements
- be committed to forward planning to improve the service for users
If confirmed eligible, applicants should then apply via an online application system hosted by the Arts Council. More information on this can be found in our step-by-step guide to accessing the system.
Applicants can use the Word version of the form as a support document in the planning stages of their online application. You can then cut and paste text from the Word document directly to the online application form.
Applicants unable to access the online application form can download a pdf form to submit a written application. Any applicants considering submitting a written application should consult with an Accreditation advisor before completing the form.
Should you have any queries, you can email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Samuel Rowlands, Accreditation Manager on: 0121 631 5739 or Carys Williams, Accreditation Assistant on: 0121 631 5745. You can also contact our Enquiries team on 0845 300 6200, or email@example.com
Documents to support your application for Accreditation: