A ground breaking dementia friendly performance project has taken place in Liverpool to help support those living with dementia.
National portfolio funding
Find out more about music and the National portfolio.
We support artists and organisations working across all genres of music and our aim is to bring the most inspiring musical experiences to audiences and participants in a wide range of contexts across the country.
Music will contribute to our Great art and culture for everyone goals and priorities by:
- supporting excellence across all genres and scales, from our internationally renowned orchestras and opera companies to organisations at the very forefront of emerging practice
- supporting organisations that have innovation at the heart of their artistic vision, such as Britten Sinfonia, Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, NMC Recordings, Inner City Music (Band on the Wall) and The Sage Gateshead
- encouraging talent development in music across different genres and styles ensuring that a diverse range of exceptional artists and new work can develop and flourish. We have some great National portfolio organisations playing significant roles in developing talent, such as Tomorrow's Warriors, Aldeburgh Music, Urban Development and Generator
- responding to audiences' appetite for a wider variety of music played in a diverse range of settings. For example, sounduk, Birmingham Opera Company, Eye Music Trust, Africa Oyé, English Folk Song and Dance Society, Darbar Arts Culture Heritage Trust
- developing opportunities for people with the least engagement or access to participate in music. For example, Streetwise Opera, Drake Music and Attitude is Everything
- ensuring that a wide diversity of music reaches audiences across the country through touring and promoter development networks. For example, Kapa Productions, Serious, Opera North, Punch, Music in the Round, Orchestras Live, The Opera Group and Welsh National Opera
- exploring opportunities for music of the highest quality to reach wider audiences through digital and broadcast partnerships. For example, Glyndebourne, the Philharmonia Orchestra, the Royal Opera House, Darbar Arts Culture Heritage Trust and Inner City Music (Band on the Wall)
- widening access to careers in music and supporting the professional development of artists working in a diverse range of styles. For example, Bigga Fish, British Underground, British Youth Opera, Generator and Small Green Shoots
- playing an active role in music education, in and out of school, including through our support for Youth Music and for National portfolio organisations such as the Halle, The Sage Gateshead, Wiltshire Music Centre, Spitalfields Festival and the Barbican Centre