British Art Show, Nottingham Contemporary. Credit: Alexander Newton
The strategic framework sets out what we want to achieve over the long-term. We will continue to plan the detail of what we do according to the funding cycle set by central government. The next Arts Council plan will be published in autumn 2011 and will cover the period 2011-15.
To inform the Arts Council Plan and the investment process that will take place over the autumn and winter of 2010/11, we have identified the following priorities for the period 2011-15. They are the areas of focus which we believe are most urgent and critical to ensuring the enduring success of the arts through the immediate challenges of the next few years and beyond.
Talent and artistic excellence are thriving and celebrated
- using our investment to ensure excellent art happens
- establishing a coherent, nationwide approach to the development
of artistic talent, particularly for emerging and mid-career artists
- supporting an artistically-led approach to diversity in the arts
- responding to major opportunities such as the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games to showcase talent and build audiences for excellent art
More people experience and are inspired by the arts
- developing arts opportunities for people and places with the least engagement
- strengthening the distribution of excellent art through touring and digital platforms
- encouraging funded organisations to be even more focused on attracting audiences
The arts are sustainable, resilient and innovative
- promoting greater collaboration between organisations to increase efficiency and innovation
- strengthening business models in the arts and helping arts organisations to diversify their income streams, including by encouraging private giving
The arts leadership and workforce are diverse and highly skilled
- building a network of arts leaders who value sharing their knowledge and skills, for the benefit of the arts and civil society
- creating equal opportunities to enter the arts workforce
Every child and young person has the opportunity to experience the richness of the arts
- improving the delivery of arts opportunities for children and young people
- raising the standard of art being produced for, with and by children and young people
Our operational approach to each of these priorities will be described in the Arts Council Plan.