A new consortium of organisations led by the National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) has been selected to deliver our £895,000 Cultural commissioning programme.
The consortium includes New Philanthropy Capital (NPC), the New Economics Foundation (NEF) and Mission Models Money (MMM). As consultants and policy advisors to commissioning bodies, NCVO, NPC and NEF are uniquely placed to build on their extensive knowledge and networks to develop and deliver the programme, with specialist arts input from MMM.
The programme will also be supported by an advisory group with representatives from the public sector, grant funders, social impact arts organisations, National portfolio organisations, museums, libraries and academia.
Running from July 2013 to June 2016, the programme will offer a mix of activities to help both commissioners in the public services and the arts, museums and libraries sectors. Further details will be available in the coming months.
Aims and outcomes
Cultural commissioning will specifically support the arts and cultural sector to collaborate with public services and contribute to the health, wellbeing, social and economic outcomes and priorities of local communities, councils and health authorities.
This is a response to a changing public service landscape in which local councils are reducing the services they deliver directly and commissioning them from external providers.
We expect the activity undertaken through the Cultural commissioning programme to address the following objectives:
- enable organisations to diversify and increase their income streams by responding to public service strategic commissioning opportunities
- support an increase in audience or participant numbers for arts and culture
- lead to the creation of high quality artistic work in a public service context
- create a greater understanding amongst public service commissioners of the potential for arts and culture to deliver their outcomes
- support policy development relating to strategic commissioning so that it takes more account of arts and culture
Visit our useful links and resources page to find out more about strategic commissioning in public services.