Read information below to find out:
To be eligible for funding, you must meet the following criteria:
1. you are applying for a grant between £100,000 and £499,999 to support capital expenditure
We define capital expenditure as money spent on the purchase, improvement, restoration, construction or creation of an asset, including expenses or costs that are directly attributable to delivering the capital project.
2. you must demonstrate that your project outcomes will contribute to at least two goals in our strategic framework Achieving great art for everyone. This must include:
i. goal 3: 'The arts are sustainable, resilient and innovative'
ii. one other of our five goals
3. your capital project will improve existing arts facilities that engage people in England and/or for artists and others who work in the arts
We will prioritise the consolidation and improvement of existing buildings and equipment rather than investing in significant expansion or new infrastructure. You can only apply for a project which will extend a current arts building, convert an existing building for arts purposes or construct a new building if your Arts Council regional office agrees to this beforehand in writing.
We are only likely to agree if you can demonstrate that you have considered the project's long-term effect on your organisation, including how any additional running costs will be met in the longer term. You must send this written agreement from your regional office, and any additional information we have requested, with your application.
4. you are in receipt of National portfolio funding from us for 2012/13
If you are not in receipt of National portfolio funding, you can only apply if you are properly constituted as an organisation and your Arts Council regional office agrees to this beforehand in writing. You must send this written agreement with your application. We are only likely to agree if you can demonstrate your project will make a significant contribution to Achieving great art for everyone.
5. your organisation and project outcomes must be based in England
6. your timetable must demonstrate that the capital works will be completed within three years of us reaching a decision on your application
If you are applying for a building project, you must also demonstrate that:
7. you already have, or propose to obtain, the required security of tenure
You must demonstrate to us that you have freehold ownership (registered or unregistered) or leasehold ownership of the land and buildings where the proposed capital project will take place.
For leasehold ownerships, we expect you to demonstrate a registered and assignable lease of at least five years without a break clause at the date of practical completion of any proposed building works.
8. your designs should be developed to at least RIBA Work Stage D. This means:
i. concept designs are developed to include structural and building services systems, updated outline specifications and cost plan
ii. the project brief is completed
iii. an application for full planning permission has been or will be submitted, if appropriate
Please note that obtaining our written agreement to apply does not guarantee that your application will be successful.
You cannot apply if:
1. you are requesting less than £100,000 or not requesting a grant towards capital expenditure
2. you are requesting more than £499,999 or not requesting a grant towards capital expenditure
3. your project outcomes will not support the delivery of arts activities that engage people in England or help artists carry out their work
4. your project will extend a current arts building, convert an existing building for arts purposes or construct a new building, unless you have our written agreement beforehand
5. you are an organisation based outside England
6. you are not a National portfolio organisation and you do not have our written agreement to apply beforehand
7. you are an individual, unless you apply as a director of your own company. We will not accept applications from people applying in a purely personal capacity
8. you are applying for funding for activities which are aimed at making a profit to be distributed to members or shareholders
9. you are applying for a building project and have not yet completed RIBA Work Stage D
10. you are applying for a building project and do not or will not have the appropriate security of tenure where the proposed capital project will take place