Note this fund is now closed for applications.
The 2014-16 round of Designation development fund is investing £1.4 million to support projects that ensure the long-term sustainability of Designated museum collections, and which maximise their public value and the sharing of best practice across the sector. This will enable greater audience enjoyment with collections which play a vital role in England's cultural life.
The successful organisations will use this money to improve their collections for the benefit of their audiences, improving enjoyment, understanding and engagement.
The Designation Scheme identifies the pre-eminent collections of national and international importance held in England's non-national museums, libraries and archives, based on their quality and significance. These inspiring collections represent a vital part of our national cultural and artistic heritage.
The current round of Designation development funding is supporting 18 projects related to the Designated museum collections held by the following organisations:
• Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology
• Compton Verney
• Culture Coventry
• Fashion Museum
• Fitzwilliam Museum
• London Transport Museum
• The Manchester Museum
• Museums Sheffield
• The National Football Museum
• Northamptonshire Borough Council
• Oxford University Museum of Natural History
• The Royal Academy of Arts
• Royal Albert Memorial Museum
• Royal College of Surgeons of England
• Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum
• Sedgwick Museum of Earth Sciences
• The Tank Museum
• Wiltshire Heritage Museum
To find out more about Designation, visit the Designation page of our website.