The £45 million Strategic touring programme was launched in 2011 and is designed to encourage collaboration between organisations, so that more people across England experience and are inspired by the arts, particularly in places which rely on touring for much of their arts provision.
This programme is a targeted grant, from our Strategic funding programmes: using Lottery investment to help achieve our mission of Great art and culture to everyone.
New: our Year two report
We have just published a report (September 2014) into the Year two activity of the programme. Facts and figures from the report include:
- a total of 61 projects received £9.3 million of investment in 2013-14
- 58% of the investment will reach places with historically low arts engagement
- over 9,800 performances and exhibition days were offered this year
- 41% of the activity will reach children and young people
Check out the infographic (to the right of this page) to see all the key data in one place.
Our aims for the programme
People across England will have improved access to great art visiting their local area. This includes:
- better access to high-quality work for people in places in England which rely on touring for much of their arts provision
- more high-quality work to reach people and places with the least engagement
- more high-quality work on tour connecting more effectively with people across a wide range of venues
We also want to ensure:
- stronger relationships are forged between those involved in artistic, audience and programme development on both the supply (eg artists, producers) and demand (eg promoters, audiences) side of touring
- a wide range of high-quality work on tour including, in particular, more work in the Literature and Dance artforms (identified in December 2014 as under-represented areas), and more work by and for people from diverse backgrounds
Find out more about how the fund will take great art and culture to the people and places with least engagement in the arts.
Find out more
Watch the following slide show for more information about the ambitions of the Strategic touring programme.