The following individuals or organisations cannot apply to Grants for the arts. If you fall into one of these categories, your application will not be eligible:
- Organisations that receive regular funding from us through the National Portfolio Organisation programme
- People who have not met any overdue payment conditions on any previous grant from us (there is further information below)
- Organisations that share out profits to members or shareholders, unless the activity you are applying for is a self-contained arts project and has a clear benefit to the public
- Students, for: activities directly linked to their formal course of study; activities which contribute towards their course assessment; their tuition fees or living costs
- Individual educational establishments (eg one school or college) where the activity does not provide benefits to the wider community or artists
- Individuals or organisations based (living) outside of the European Union
- Members of Arts Council England's National Council
What you cannot apply for
You cannot apply for the following activities:
- Activities that are not related to the arts
- Activities that do not benefit or engage people in England (in the short or long term) or that do not help artists and arts organisations in England to carry out their work
- Self-promotional activities which do not provide public benefit, either immediately or in the long term, or where the applicant does not have an artistic track record
- Activities (including buying goods or services) that have started, been bought, ordered or contracted before we make a decision about your application
- General running costs and ongoing overheads
- Costs that are already paid for by other income including your own funds or any other funding
- Activities in a formal educational setting for educational purposes necessary by law
- Fundraising activities, such as charity galas, that do not benefit the arts
We provide further information about what we cannot fund in our additional guidance and information sheets.
Overdue conditions on previous grants
If you are currently in receipt of a Grants for the arts award, you cannot make another application unless you are up to date with meeting the conditions for your earlier grant.
You must meet any overdue conditions before you apply again. Your previous offer letter would list what conditions you needed to meet, and when we expected to receive your monitoring information.
A condition is considered overdue once the date for submitting the information on the payment schedule for your grant has passed.
If you have a query about conditions for a previous grant please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0845 300 6200.