Grants for the arts are for activities carried out over a set period and which engage people in England in arts activities, and help artists and arts organisations in England carry out their work.
Grants for the arts is funded by the National Lottery.
Grants for the arts is changing
From 1 July 2013 the application and assessment process for Grants for the arts will be changing in order to help us streamline our investment process. Find out more about the changes or read the FAQs.
Grants for the arts – online
You can now submit your application to Grants for the arts online using our online application.
There are a number of benefits to doing this:
- the online application process will give added support so that you can make sure your application is complete and eligible before you submit it. For example, the online system will check if your budget is balanced
- you can submit supporting material up to 10MB and links to any relevant websites
- you can ensure your application will reach us immediately without relying on the post, with an instant confirmation of receipt by email
- you can get direct links to relevant information in our guidance notes
You may still apply using the printed application form if you are not able to use the online application process, but we do encourage applicants to use our online system.
Using the online application process will also allow us to save administration costs that can be reinvested into arts activity.
Working on joint applications
The online application allows joint working on application forms. This works particularly well for organisations where one person completes the proposal and another completes the income and spending sections.
The user that started the application can share it by giving their application code to another user.
To do this, they can use the 'Add other user's application' button on their homepage and enter the application code. The application will then appear in their list of draft applications.
Only one user can access the form at any one time. As there is only one copy of the form, changes made by either user will be updated in both accounts.
Either user can submit the application form but the user that started the application form will receive the acknowledgement email.
Grants for the arts application materials
The latest version of the application pack includes:
- the Grants for the arts application form
- guidance on how to apply
- further information about other sources of funding
To request a copy of the Grants for the arts application pack, please contact our enquiries team on 0845 300 6200.
Applications for touring activity from individuals or organisations not part of the Arts Council’s National portfolio can also be submitted through Grants for the arts. This would be a suitable route for applicants:
- who wish to apply for funding of less than £10,001
- who wish to apply for funding for a range of activity including touring
- who wish to apply for touring activity, where the main purpose of that activity does not meet the aims or the criteria for the strategic touring programme; for example artistic development
Applicants wishing to apply to Grants for the arts for funding of over £80,000 for touring activity should speak to the Enquiries team in advance of submitting their application to gain further advice on their options.