To apply for the Scheme for the first time or reapply after a period of non-participation, your organisation must:
- enable people to explore collections for inspiration, learning and enjoyment. You must collect, safeguard and make accessible artefacts and specimens, which you hold in trust for society (Museum Association definition of a museum)
- hold a long-term collection of artefacts
- have a formal constitution
- provide two years of relevant accounts
- meet all the relevant legal, ethical, safety, equality, environmental and planning requirements
- be committed to improving your service for users
If you meet all these criteria, you should first read the Accreditation Standard and guidance (download below). If you have queries about your eligibility, you can also speak to your museum development team or an Accreditation advisor.
We will assess your eligibility and may contact you for additional information; we usually let you know our decision within four weeks. If successful, we will confirm your organisation’s ‘Working Towards Accreditation’ status and you will be invited to apply.